Sunday, January 23, 2005

EUROPINOY PERSPECTIVE

United Colors of Europe
By Tet de Lara-Heichele
Source: PINOY EXPATS

I have always thought of me being in Europe as fate although I have never imagined myself living here for good until after I came.

As I took the offer of a four-month training with a consulting firm in Stockholm, Sweden, I never thought it was meant to change my whole life all together. After I left Manila, my first feeling was that of freedom. I was finally free from horrifying traffic, flash floods, blackouts and not to mention, high-blood stimulating politicians who don't do anything for our country except to pull it further down the drain. I was ready to leave my life in the Philippines and take on better opportunities in Europe.

It's been four and a half years since I came here and what can I say?I love Europe! It's beautiful. And thanks to cheap all-in-one holiday packages and no-frills airlines, I was able to see quite a bit.

First stop, Sweden. As I was sitting on the bus trying to listen to the voice which announces each stop in order not to miss mine and end up being reprimanded on my first day of work, I then realised my first impression of Swedes: they are incredibly tall and good looking. I have never seen so many good-looking blondes in my entire life and I am not just talking about the men. I honestly give it up to the Swedes for being one of the best-looking (nationalities, I guess??? ) in my dictionary.

As part of my job in Stockholm, I had to travel to Oslo, Norway, and Helsinki, Finland, two times a year. My first trip to Oslo was driving eight hours with my co-trainees in a van. It was lots of fun! Apart from enjoying the great scenery, we were like grade-schoolers on a trip without a teacher - we sang and talked just about everything. The result: We missed an exit and ended up two hours late in Oslo, where we caught up with our panicking boss. He shook his head sideways in disbelief and was left speechless as we, the trainees, even had the guts to laugh about the incident in front of him. On the way back, we were, of course, given a supervisor who rode with us but it didn't matter much anymore as we were dead tired from our event and were almost asleep most of the time.

My first trip to Finland on the other hand was quite cultural, if I may say. It was when I first got introduced to the "drinking-culture" of the Scandinavians. For a difference, we took the Viking Cruise line that sails regularly to and from Stockholm and Helsinki. It was an overnight trip that included a short stop on a small non-EU island off the coast of Estonia. This meant the could then sell tax-free alcohol. And so there we were, thinking we were given a big bonus by taking this classy cruise, when we then realised it was a popular cruise for young people who just wanted to party and get completely wasted on the boat. Don't get me wrong, although none of us got wasted, we certainly enjoyed the trip. The cruise ship was still in itself amazing with eight decks, composing of duty-free shops, restaurants, game house, disco, indoor swimming pools and saunas.

After one and a half years in Stockholm, it was time to move on. Second stop: Germany. One summer day, I was actually happy to call my dad on the phone and tell him my wonderful news - I bought my first vehicle!!! Wooohooo! I told him it was mint green and easy to manoeuvre, highly fuel-efficient and had a special feature - a basket in front! Yes, I bought a bike. Having my office 10 minutes away from my flat via the U-Bahn, I thought, what the heck, it's summer, therefore, I will take the bike. It was a bit scary at first having to drive alongside cars at certain areas but in time, I got used to it. This 10-minute trip to the office then developed to bike tours, which normally lasts two to four hours. But of course, only during summer !

Of course living in Germany meant travelling fast - whether cars or trains, name it, they have it! From trains travelling more than 300 kph to BMW's, Mercedes' or Audi's which run more than 200 kph, they're all an experience! Where else in Europe can you find an autobahn without speed limits? Only in Germany!

Germany has its fair share of no-frills airlines as well. I remember a colleague of mine who used to stay till 10 pm in the office due to lack of internet access at home. As a launching gift of Germanwings, they issued one-way flights to European destinations for €1. The only thing was, you can only book it from 10 pm to 8 am the next day, which was their normal rule for special promotions. What the heck, I would have stayed as well had I known about it earlier.

In any case, thanks to fast trains and cheap/no-frills airlines I've seen--Italy (Tuscany), Spain (Gran Canaria, Madrid), Malta, France (Cote d'Azur, Paris, Alsace), UK (London), Belgium (Brussels), Netherlands (Amsterdam, Utrecht, Rotterdam).With a lifetime ahead of me, I sure hope to travel and see more of not just Europe, but the world!!!

No comments: