Saturday, March 05, 2005

Music Review: The Treasure In You

The "First"
by Stephen Cuyos, MSC

It is often the “first” that defines the greatness of an achievement – first to set foot on the moon, first to reach the summit of mount Everest, first to discover the polio vaccine, first to photograph deep sea vents, first to map the human DNA structure, etc.

The “first” of Ricky Bermudez is a 16-track music CD. He composed each note, penned each word and played every instrument creating moving, occasionally catchy, and surprisingly intense music. Heavily acoustic, the album is called “The Treasure In You”. The impression that one immediately gets is that Ricky is sharing with his listeners the treasure that comes from within him. Not only that he composed all the tracks, he also sings most of them. His voice is distinct, crisp, and tender.

The song that immediately became my favorite is “D'yos Ang Pag-ibig” (God is Love), sung by Kristine Camille Morales. Its melody is quite melancholic but the message is incredibly uplifting. It begins with a soft acoustic passage which reminds me of Jim Brickman, then Kristine's voice takes over and brings the tune to sweet-sounding harmony bordering on the divine. Kristine's voice pierces me like a hypodermic needle and moves me with its sheer depth.

The other titles are: May the Sacred Heart of Jesus Be Loved, Being With You, Own Me My God, Diyos Ang S'yang Ating Kasama, Gift, Sa 'Yo Na Ama, Jesus My Guide, Your Love, Dahil Tanging Ikaw, In Your Heart, Greatest Joy, The Treasure In You, His Love, God's Greatest Love, and Memorare. The thread that weaves all the different tracks into a unified motif is the message that in the journey towards a life of fulfillment and holiness the treasure that we all need to discover is God's love.

Ricky's music relies heavily on piano for mood. His rhyming syllables, coupled with his trademark piano hooks sometimes make the songs reach melodrama, as with the lyrics, “satisfy me with your forgiving love that I may never look again for a surrogate of your warmth”. He can also be emotional and romantic, as with the words, “only in your heart that I can be this way”.

No professional singer is involved in the production. Ricky Bermudez himself, who is undeniably gifted, has no professional music career to speak of. A priest and a Missionary of the Sacred Heart (MSC), Ricky currently serves as co-pastor of the Sto. Nino Parish in Mactan, Cebu, Philippines. Another MSC priest involved in the production is Noel Galido, who sings “Own Me, My God”. Noel and Ricky have a characteristic kind of musical alchemy. Other talents involved in the production are Jeanine Sandoy, Kristine Caress Morales, Charina Arellano, Algen Canete, Esmeraldo Jumao-as, Gilbert Gelig, Moises Manabat, Ben Murillo, and Felecitas Inot.

Better sound engineering, packaging and cover design would have brought the album to greater heights, but when I consider that everyone involved in it are non-professionals in the technical sense, then I could not help but admire the results. It is, after all, a collective labor of love.

I'll hold out hope that this music CD can be the beginning of a sustainable Music Ministry for the Missionaries of the Sacred Heart in the Philippines.

Well, it is too early to say that his first album will define Ricky's greatness. In the meantime let us enjoy his music – his treasure – and his message of love.

Please press the play button to listen to Diyos Ang Pag-ibig.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Very,very nice to listen the song DIYOS ANG PAG-IBIG. I think I heard your voice you sing along with. I let the music played few times more than 30 minutes.It is now peaceful here in the office most of my college are gone around 4:oo p.m. Very convenient for me to listen the music with out any annoying with other college. I hoop the dream of Ricky M. will come true. The title of the Music
or CD is very beautiful and meaningful already. If they listen to the songs I'm sure it will touch more there feelings specially
to those who are true-hearted.
Take care and God Bless you always.

Anonymous said...

This morning I opened our weblog just to see the latest news but then I was attracted to open the music preview-The Treasure in you. The title itself is very captivating...I listened carefully...and it helped me to reflect...! Though the melody is melancholic but I guess it will touch the hearts of many people.I really like it. How I wish I could have a copy. Share naman... with notes and chords ha? Thank you and
congratulations to all MSC.
Teresa,mscs

Anonymous said...

very nice