Thursday, March 31, 2005

Heartlinks

Please email your heartlinks to: pinoyradio1611@yahoo.com
__________________________________
Wish
Sent by Anja
Switzerland

"Many of us spend half our time wishing for things we could have if we didn’t spend half our time wishing."

Alexander Woollcott, 1887-1943
American Author and Journalist
Nobel Peace Prize Recipient


__________________________________
Touch
Sent by Razy
Philippines

Let me touch you today
through my thoughts
and may you feel
the extra beat of love
my heart murmured.

__________________________________
Smile

“Smile at each other,
smile at your wife, smile at your husband,
smile at your children, smile at each other
-- it doesn't matter who it is --
and that will help you to grow up
in greater love for each other.”


Mother Teresa
Catholic Nun, Missionary
Nobel Peace Prize Recipient


__________________________________
This Pic Made Us Smile
Forwarded by Grace
Netherlands

please click here to view all the pics in powerpoint
__________________________________
Plant

"Plant your own garden and decorate your own soul, instead of waiting for someone to bring you flowers.”

Veronica A. Shoffstall
American Poet


__________________________________
Quote

"He who never made a mistake never made a discovery."

Anonymous

__________________________________
GHOSTS OF THE PAST
“An essay on reawakening old, buried dreams…”
by Suzette Amodia-Ybanez, PTRP
Philippines



When the idea of taking the Physical Therapy board exam was suggested to me last year, I laughed it off nervously. Were they kidding me?! There was no way I could pull it off, especially that I have been away from the PT scene for what seemed like forever.

We were considered Velez College’s cream of the crop (for PT and OT). Among the hundreds of students who went through their intensive screening program, I was one of those lucky 100 freshmen who passed. You see, we were the first batch of PT students – the batch who will either make or break the name of the school so we better be really good. I endured 5 demanding school years (June 1992 – March 1997). Sleepless nights, palpitations and tears were almost as regular as lunch breaks – at least for me. And it didn’t help to have classmates who were valedictorians, salutatorians and the likes, from different parts of the country because it only meant I have to work twice, if not, 5 times as hard just to keep up considering I was just your average student. But average I may be, I was not born an academic quitter, so even if I was no longer happy with the course, I studied harder and went with the flow.

I graduated in March 1997 without failing a single subject but I was still not convinced that I was by then all set to become a physical therapist. I attended review classes after graduating in preparation for the board exams and got me a job at the same time. But it was really hard to juggle two equally demanding tasks, so I chose working instead of reviewing because not only did I enjoy working, I also hated hearing my classmates discussing PT subjects in the review center because it felt like they were speaking in tongues! When the August 1997 licensure exam result was published in the national paper, I had mixed feelings. I was happy for my friends who finally had their license but at the same time, I was sad for myself too… I was sad for my curtailed dreams.

So I buried myself in my work; hopping from one job to another in search of greener and happier pastures – all of them having nothing to do with my being a physical therapy graduate. I worked as a medical representative, resort receptionist, banquet coordinator and account executive. But I remembered one time while watching Discovery Channel on tv, I saw this physical therapist treating her patient and yes, I cried so hard saying to myself, “That therapist should have been me.”

All the while I was working, the idea of taking the board exam sometimes entered my head but I brushed it off by telling myself: “Do you really think you can do it?! Look at you! You don’t even know what PNF means anymore.” (By the way, PNF stands for Proprioceptive Neuromuscular Facilitation, a technique commonly used in physical therapy to treat stroke patients.)

So, when the idea of taking the boards was suggested to me I thought they were out of their minds! But the buried physical therapy dream was continually haunting me, so I gave in. I was really unsure then but my resolve in giving myself a chance to silence the ghosts of the past was stronger.

This is not an exaggeration, but I vomited on the first day of the review. I was so scared! I sat in the front row, hoping against hope that the lecturer would not throw questions at me. When he started the lecture, it was like hearing him play the grand piano. Every medical term was like a note tickling my brains, trying to find its way into my subconscious. The notes (terms) grew louder and louder and LOUDER until bang! There I was in the front row, unconsciously singing the lyrics of the melody.

And of course it didn’t just end there. Once again I had to face sleepless nights, tears, and fears – the same monsters I faced way back in college. But with a strong determination, a solid foundation in Velez College, the best review center (Intelkinetiq), and countless prayers as my shield, I was confident that I will brave it through the board exam. My parents, husband, in-laws, friends and relatives’ support gave me the much needed strength too.

February 9, 2005 – I tearfully found myself reading my name in the national paper as one of those who passed the physical therapy licensure examination. After almost 8 years, I have FINALLY silenced the ghosts of the past… Thank you, Lord.

__________________________________
Necklace
Forwarded by Melit
Philippines






Once there was a king who had presented his daughter, the princess, with a beautiful diamond necklace. The necklace was stolen and his people in the kingdom searched everywhere but could not find it. Some said a bird may have stolen it. The king then asked them all to search for it and put a reward for $50,000 for anyone who found it.

One day a clerk was walking home along a river next to an industrial area. This river was completely polluted and filthy and smelly. As he was walking, the clerk saw a shimmering in the river and when he looked, he saw the diamond necklace. He decided to try and catch it so that he could get the $50,000 reward. He put his hand in the filthy, dirty river and grabbed at the necklace, but some how missed it and didn't catch it. He took his hand out and looked again and the necklace was still there. He tried again, this time he walked in the river and dirtied his pants in the filthy river and put his whole arm in to catch the necklace.

But strangely, he still missed the necklace! He came out and started walking away, feeling depressed. Then again he saw the necklace, right there. This time he was determined to get it, no matter what. He decided to plunge into the river, although it was a disgusting thing to do as the river was polluted, and his whole body would become filthy. He plunged in, and searched everywhere for the necklace and yet he failed. This time he was really bewildered and came out feeling very depressed that he could not get the necklace that would get him $50,000. Just then a saint who was walking by, saw him, and asked him what was the matter. The clerk didn't want to share the secret with the saint, thinking the saint might take the necklace for himself, so he refused to tell the saint anything.

But the saint could see this man was troubled and being compassionate, again asked the clerk to tell him the problem and promised that he would not tell anyone about it. The clerk mustered some courage and decided to put some faith in the saint. He told the saint about the necklace and how he tried and tried to catch it, but kept failing. The saint then told him that perhaps he should try looking upward, toward the branches of the tree, instead of in the filthy river. The clerk looked up and true enough, the necklace was dangling on the branch of a tree. He had been trying to capture a mere reflection of the real necklace all this time.

MORAL OF THE STORY:
Material happiness is just like the filthy, polluted river; because it is a mere reflection of the TRUE happiness in the spiritual world. We don't achieve the happiness we are looking for, no matter how hard we endeavor in the material life. Instead we should look upwards, toward God, who is the source of real happiness, and stop chasing after the reflection of this happiness in the material world. This spiritual happiness is the only thing that can satisfy us completely.

May the Lord help us LOOK UP TO HIM.

__________________________________
Beating of a Truly Loving Heart
Shared by Meg
Belgium

"Of all the earthly music that which reaches
farthest into heaven is the beating
of a truly loving heart. "

by Henry Ward Beecher

__________________________________
Hug
Forwarded by Gem
Philippines

Hug your friends, your enemies, everyone! The hug is my favorite sign of affection. It can mean so much, and so many things at the same time. It can be a sign of love, friendship, comfort or anything.

So here you go.




All I can say it will do is brighten someone's day. I mean, we all need a hug once in a while. So hug someone today.

__________________________________
To A Very Special Sister
Emailed by Meg
Belgium

for the wonderful way you've managed to blend
the gifts of a sister with those of a friend..
for the fun and the laughter, the memories we share,
the numerous ways you show how much you care....
for adding a warm touch of love each day,
making a difference in your own special way,
You are an important part of my life....

You are loved...

__________________________________
Live! … not just exist
Sent by Agnes Razyneth Amores
Philippines


Ah… LIFE! It’s so beautiful, isn’t it?

Won’t it be just right to feel it and be alive?
After all, it is the greatest gift.

Indeed life is a gift
And gifts are treasured
Gifts are cherished
Gifts are loved.

And when you are in love
You feel right
You feel good
So good it seems like nothing else matters!

Why frown when you can smile
Why worry when somebody cares
So live to feel… Care to live


Not just by being there… but wanting
Not just wait… but lead
Not just receive… but give

And not just exist… but LIVE!

__________________________________
Life is a Beautiful Journey
Submitted by Mars Rapayla
MRapayla@lear.com

Life is a beautiful journey, isn't it?

But how could you see the beauty of it when in fact, life is full of struggle & miseries? By the way, what does life mean for you?

For me, it is a journey filled with lessons, heartaches, hardships, joys, celebration and special moments that will ultimately lead us to our destination, our purpose in life. The road is not always smooth; in fact, throughout our travel we will encounter many challenges.

Let me tell you some of my experiences:
- Believe it or not, I was a scavenger. I remember one time that I ate food thrown into the garbage because of hunger. And the money I earned from the scrapped materials I picked up supported my study until I completed highschool.
- I have lost a loved one, my mother, which took me a long time to recover.
- I was a breadwinner and sent my siblings to school, supporting them financially and emotionally.
- I am a gay
- I was broken hearted
- I'm a working student

So much sadness and hardships but,
- I was awarded as Best Production Operator of the Year and not only that
- I was promoted from production operator to Process Engineer.

You know what; through the years of survival I have realized that life is a matter of choice - whether to live and to give up. And in my case, I chose to live and survive because I believe that if I give up, I would never see the purpose that waits to be discovered with every trial. If I say it's over, I would never experience ultimate happiness, if I never had the courage to face the challenges one could ever feel.

Your life now is the product of your choices. The beauty of life is not on how to live but on how to survive.

Let your hope, not your hurts, shape your future.


Please email your heartlinks to: pinoyradio1611@yahoo.com

[updated every friday, CET]

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

...nice to know you're getting more & more reactions in your feedbacks section & to know they came from the Phil...meaning... your website is getting popular there..wow !!!! your efforts are starting to bear fruits..

Anonymous said...

...thanks...it means a lot to me...
...May your enthusiasm on what you have started for connecting the Filipinos abroad & locally will go on undiminished.

Anonymous said...

hi,
I'm so thankful for posting my poem in your 'Heartlinks' page. I know this is very late, but i believe it is better than never... Keep up, i admire most of your pages.

Anonymous said...

ms suzzete ybanes, i was so touch with your statment...im from velez too, taking up pt also...

Anonymous said...

Ms Ybanez, Im really inspired by your story. I am also a PT graduate and has not passed yet the licensure exams. I am planning to take it this year. Your story only reinforced my conviction in taking the exams and finally silencing MY ghosts... Thanks and God bless..

Anonymous said...

hi zette! neldy here. im so inspired with your story gurl. cheers! kaya natin to...

Anonymous said...

I have observed that online diploma is getting popular because obtaining your degree online has changed into a popular alternative for many people. Numerous people have certainly not had a chance to attend a traditional college or university however seek the increased earning potential and a better job that a Bachelor's Degree affords. Still people might have a college degree in one discipline but would wish to pursue another thing they now have an interest in. [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-v-moskve/84-stroitelstvo-dorog-v-moskve.html]ремонт в квартире до скольки[/url]